Monday, January 24, 2011

Stone column decisions....

I've been trying to figure out how to detail this retaining wall. I got out my pencil and paper and here is what I am thinking..... The top picture is the idea for the retaining wall, and the bottom is my "concept" for the front yard / gaslight entrance. I just e-mailed it to the builder to see what he thinks. Hopefully it isn't too complicated and he gets what I'm talking about!

Lucky for me, he doesn't laugh at my pictures (at least not to my face), so that is good!
The opening to this retaining wall is currently 9'3". I am trying to figure out how big this opening should be? They could build the stone pillars in the opening if I want to reduce it, or they could wrap around the current wall if I want to preserve that opening. We'll put in a "double wide" gate, and I want it to be big enough to be highly functional, but small enough that it isn't incredible heavy.... but what is that magic size? I am thinking the arch of the gate should mimic the arched window above.

My builder just called to ask about the detailing of the front porch. I am sure he thought I was completely crazy when I asked him to let me double check the detailing the architect provided against my book, "Traditional Construction Patterns". I was very pleased to see that my architect did detail the porch the correct, or "do" way vs. the dreaded "don't" style! Will it really make a difference, we'll see...but I'll be pleased to know my porch is a "do" and not a "don't" if any architecturally correct people are out there critiquing the place! Do you think the guys would be offended if I left my copy of the book out there? :-)
I let my architect borrow it once and I guess he thought it was a gift to him since he never bothered to give it back --- it is THAT good!

Electrician can't get back out until Wednesday because my special little 4" lights (thanks to the lighting people) are not in stock until then. Luckily, that buys me a bit of time to have Lloyd get back to me about the stone columns with lights and if it is a go, then the electrician can "git er dun" when he returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment