Friday, May 13, 2011

Not so mellow yellow...

The basement is very, well, um, cheery... if it doesn't make you throw up first it is so bright. We did know that "humble gold" by Sherwin Williams was not really all that humble as far as golds are concerned. We have this color in our current dining room and it doesn't seem all that bright. But, perhaps Maurizio and Francisco were so happy to be painting today that they gave it that little bit of extra "cheer." It is hard to say. Perhaps the basement is just such a large big room, that the small dose of cheer in my dining room works, while this is simply overly cheery? Or, perhaps, it will be a genius decision once we get our furniture in place which has some of this yellow color (in smaller doses). I am going to have to start thinking Tuscan or French Country in this space. I'll lay on the roosters and golds, and we'll make sure the wine room gets that flavor as well.


Speaking of the wine room, check out Nick's dungeon door --- see the big old metal clavos? They do look very cool. It will be really neat once this door gets some stain and it brings out the grain and the knots in this alder (also a very pretty wood).
We decided to ditch the speak-easy part --- seems like an oxymoron when talking about a room where you drink wine.

So I have started this post in what seems like a complaint.... but I view it more as a diary of how we are feeling at this exact moment. Just a few days I would have said that we had a paint choice disaster on the other floors as well. The ceilings were painted and they looked brownish yellow, like you would expect to see in a smoker's house. Yuck. We remained calm, well, sort of calm, and waited for the trim to be painted, and finally the walls. It looks beautiful and Nany and I chose these paints well! So, I will not completely worry about the basement because, it is after all the basement and it needs a good dose of cheer anyway, but the initial reaction is definitely an, "oh my, that is bright."

Here are several shots of other areas....
The butler's pantry (they got the crown moulding up finally).... I am trying to decide if I should put a backsplash here, or just leave it painted. For the moment, I think I'll just leave it.

The upstairs laundry room. I love these green cabinets (Benjamin Moore Louisburg Green with a dark glaze). The glaze is pretty in the grooves of the cabinets. This is the only place we did a glaze I think? The granite in here is really pretty. Arctic Cream. I am regretting a bit not using it in some other places.



Upstairs hallway built-ins:

The master bath --- Nick's side... doesn't it look messier than my side already? (Notice, not showing my side :-)


The family room with the beams torn out of an old barn. As far as I can tell, there are no creatures living in them. The mantel is super cool. Check out the mortise pockets underneath. It is embedded in the stone, but I am thinking about having Robert or Jesse, the stone guys, add a stone corbel on each side --- really just for looks as it is supported already.
Also, check out the trim paint (Manchester Tan, same as the cabinets) and the Greenbrier Beige paint on the walls. It is really pretty together.

The boys' study. I like their blue cabinets and their little square windows.

Master bedroom, fireplace not completed yet:

Alex's bath:

Powder room:

Front Hallway.... love the symmetry:

Keeping room and kitchen: I was going to tell that guy to "GET OFF MY ISLAND," but I've tried talking to him before and he doesn't seem to understand me!


Next up: Plumbing, electrical and grading....

3 comments:

  1. So amazing to see the progress...gives me hope and inspiration for the next 2 months for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in LOVE, LOVE with all you have done here. Absolutely dreamy. GREAT choices in moldings, cabinets etc. I am crossing my fingers you won't mind sharing a bit more about your Green Powder Room Vanity. It's amazing! Is it an antique you painted or did you buy it somewhere? Thanks for your reply, it will be just heavenly when you move in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the color, style and namebrand of the stone you used on the fireplace in the family room? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete