Friday, March 18, 2011

Flooring.... it is SO not boring!

Today has been very very fun! The boys had no school so we went this morning to play. Guys all over the place to work on the floors....love it! I was very worried about short boards, but they did a great job with the 4,5, 6 floors....

Also, the master travertine which was a last second swap, I love! I expected 1 clip per tile for the little crackle glass ones, and this is 2, but I think it needed it. Otherwise it might have been too sporadic. I was so disappointed the day the glass tiles arrived because they were much darker and a bit more green. But, again, it looks great with the travertine. Also, the travertine is called Jinshan Bone, so given my interest in China, the Chinese sounding name must have been destiny....Phew!

My sister told me the other day, "wow, it is like a different gift every day when you go in the house." It is true, every day I drive out, and I get really excited to see what has happened overnight.... just like a kid on Christmas morning, I feel very lucky.

Here are a few shots of the master bath floor.


Now for a few of the hardwood floors. I think walnut is such a beautiful wood, I am thrilled about it! Still nervous about the finishing because I want it to look like a beautiful wood, not like a plastic coated wood, but I am feeling pretty good about it today since I am so excited about the wood!



Here is Alex's partially complete pebble shower. I think the pebble floor is pretty cool -- I hope it will be like a little massage in the shower! The little trim piece either had to go really high, or low. Since it is a kid shower, I decided low would be good.

The stone guys found a really neat stone in the pile (from Pennsylvania) that was filled with all kinds of fossils. They put it aside for Ryan to see. Ryan thought it was pretty cool, so they are going to put it on the house, right by the front door so he can show people his "fossils" when they come over.

More tile work, stone, and hardwoods coming up. The beams in the keeping room / kitchen will go up next week because they don't want the scaffolds up against the cabinets. Explaining those to the trim guy was interesting. Hope my message got through!

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! I'm floored by your hickory. Ours will be white oak from the trees we cut down to clear the lot. I can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete