Saturday, April 30, 2011

Getting to the point....



...of the circular roof that is. This is the very last bit of roofing for the house... hooray! Well, that is not exactly true, the cupola is not done yet, but I think he is having that crafted off-site. It is pretty amazing to see this round roof installation. See the pointy pieces on the left, about to be lifted onto the roof? They get fastened somehow. I am not sure how it was all engineered because it seems to be working out well, so definitely not by the architect :-).

In other news, we came around the corner and the house came into view. Alex commented, "That is sure going to take a lot of paint remover." Guess he doesn't like the color and preferred the primer color of the siding vs. our chosen color.

Primer yellow: (I have grown to like it too, and my neighbors had an animated discussion about whether we should keep it yellow or greige).



Our new greige color: (I have to admit, it is pretty shocking to see --- and I don't mean shocking in a good way. I have gotten so used to the yellow that this looks blah). But, the trim color isn't up, so it looks so dull with no contrast at all.

Here is the inspiration house.


I thought the paint was so pretty that I wrote the owner a letter. She gave me her paint cans. Of course now I am questioning it a bit, but really think it is really just a matter of getting used to such a dramatic change.... I hope....


Now, watching these guys paint, up 3 stories on this ladder was a scary sight. See the guy starting to paint the trim in one of the above pictures? When he was ready to shift down to the right he would grab both sides of the ladder and "hop," I'm not kidding. I am definitely sticking with this color now because watching Ryan's eyes light up at this technique was too much! He would be thrilled to get up there for me and repaint any day!

Nicholas is not convinced the grading is right, so he is taking matters into his own hands in the bulldozer. Ryan is taking on the trenching.


In other developments, we have marked out driveway and sidewalks. The forms are in and I think they will pour them on Monday. This picture is redundant, but check out the sidewalk:

Here is the driveway:


The concrete block columns at the beginning of the drive will be gas lanterns with some horse fencing flanking them. Starting to look like a blank canvas that desperately needs some landscaping!

We created a little guest pull-off at the top of the driveway to keep guests out of the garage path / basketball court.



On to interior matters:

Hallway view. The wainscot is looking good. Will look even better with paint other than primer...I hope...



A bit of the granite went in this week. Just the White Diamond, so the pantry, butler's pantry and the kitchen. We expect the rest to go in on Tuesday and Thursday next week. That will be fun!




This program is not cooperating anymore, so I am going to hit go....

No comments:

Post a Comment